Foreign Students and Graduates

Pharmacy School Locator
Is Pharmacy for You
Pharmacy Career Information
Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)
Current Student Pharmacists
Student Organizations
Pharmacy Residency and Internship Opportunities
AACP Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience
Graduate and Research Students
Graduate Degrees Defined
Graduate Degree Programs for Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in North America
Student Research Grant Data Reports
Foreign Students and Graduates
Non-Traditional Students
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Express Scripts Scholars Program
Financial Literacy

Foreign Students and Graduates 

Non-U.S. Students

Admission Restrictions for Non-U.S. Applicants


The Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree program in the United States requires at least 2-years of specific pre-professional (undergraduate) coursework followed by 4-academic years (or 3-calendar years) of professional study. The B.S. of pharmacy degree is no longer offered in the U.S. The pharmacy admission process is highly competitive for all applicants.

Some U.S. pharmacy institutions do not consider international (non-U.S.) applicants for admission. Some U.S. pharmacy institutions give admission preference to applicants who live in the same state as the school. For these schools, international and out-of-state (non-resident) applicants may compete for a limited number of positions or may be ineligible for admission, depending on institutional and state policies. Private pharmacy institutions generally offer non-U.S. citizens a greater number of positions within the program as compared to state-supported, public institutions. Foreign citizens should visit the web site for each U.S. pharmacy school to determine if international (foreign) applicants are eligible for admission.

The majority of U.S. pharmacy degree programs require all applicants to apply through the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS). The PharmCAS web site indicates whether the pharmacy school considers non-U.S. citizens for admission. Refer to the School Directory for detailed information.

The classes required for admission vary by pharmacy school. To obtain admission requirement information, visit the web site for each Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree program. School specific information is also available within the Pharmacy School Admission Requirements (PSAR) publication.

If the U.S. institution considers non-U.S. citizens for admission, the applicant must meet the same minimum entry requirements as American students, including course prerequisites and standardized tests. Applicants who completed pre-pharmacy study outside the U.S. will be required to submit original foreign transcripts or a course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation report, depending on school policy. Some pharmacy schools do not accept pre-pharmacy courses taken at a foreign institution.

If an applicant's primary language is not English, the pharmacy school may require the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Test of Spoken English (TSE), or another English language proficiency test as part of the admissions process. Non-U.S. citizens may be required to complete the pre-pharmacy courses in a U.S. accredited university.

"The TOEFL Study Guide" is a helpful resource to assist foreign applicants to prepare for the TOEFL test.

Foreign Transcript Evaluation Services

World Education Services, Inc
P.O. Box 5087 Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087

Back to top


Non-U.S. Pharmacy Graduates

Pharmacy Practice in the U.S.

Foreign pharmacy graduates that wish to practice in the U.S. must complete the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Certification (FPGEC®). FPGEC provides a means of documenting the educational equivalency of a candidate's foreign pharmacy education. Questions regarding equivalency exams (FPGEC®) and licensure for graduates of foreign pharmacy programs should be directed to:

The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
1600 Feehanville Drive
Mount Prospect, IL 60056

Many states have additional testing requirements, and you should contact the Board of Pharmacy in the state that you will be practicing to learn more. The NABP web site provides contact information for each state board.

Pharmacy Study in the U.S.

If you have already completed a degree in pharmacy at a foreign institution and wish to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) in the U.S., you may wish to consider a post-B.S. pharmacy degree programs. The following colleges and schools of pharmacy consider foreign pharmacy graduates for admission into a post-B.S. pharmacy (non-traditional) Pharm.D. degree program. A U.S. or Canadian pharmacy license may be required for admission. For specific admission information about these programs, please contact these colleges and schools directly:

  • University of Colorado
  • University of Florida
  • Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences-Boston
  • Howard University
  • Shenandoah University
  • Western University of Health Sciences

Back to top

Last updated on: 6/19/2017 2:19 PM 

© 2017 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
1727 King Street | Alexandria, VA  22314 | (703) 739-2330 | Fax: (703) 836-8982 |